Skip to main content
Stave Falls Elementary
Forest & Nature Program
Learn 75Curriculum ConnectionsMPSDMail
School History

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​First School in Stave Falls (1909 - 1925)

In 1909, the first recorded school in Stave Falls opened with 14 students and operated until June of 1925. It was a one room building located in the lower camp south of the tail-race at the Stave Falls dam site.

Stave Garden School (1913 - 1962)

In 1913, a second one-room school was opened just east of today's Carr St; it operated until 1962.

Stave Falls School (1924 - 1966)

In 1924, a new one room school located just west of Burma Street opened with 35 students.

Bell Road School (1962 - 1993)

In 1962, a newly constructed school opened with two classrooms and 29 students. By 1966, Stave Gardens and Stave Falls both closed and all students attended Bell Road School. This school went from grades 1 to 7 and had 47 students.

Stave Falls Elementary (1994 - 2008)

In 1994, after a year of construction, Stave Falls Elementary opened. This new school was built on 9.4 acres for 250 students and designed to compliment its rural surroundings featuring wooden post and beam construction. The school was closed in 2008.

Stave Falls Elementary (2019 - Present)

In 2019, Stave Falls Elementary reopened after 10 dormant years receiving a Board vote of 4-1. It has been reopened as a "K-6 Elementary School with an outdoor, forestry and cultural program of choice focus." In October 2018, construction and restoration began to bring Stave Falls back to life.

Stave Falls Elementary School 1953.jpgStave Falls Elementary School 2008.jpg 

Information credit: Mission Community Archives

Photo credit: BC Archives / Mission City Record